Responsibilities for producers and importers
Responsibilities in practice - What do I need to know and do?
In practice there are four main responsibilities related to packaging for producers and importers. To:
- meet the Essential Requirements;
- meet the limits on heavy metal concentration levels;
- record and account for the amount of packaging released onto the Dutch market; and
- register with the Packaging Waste Fund if the amount of packaging released onto the Dutch market is more than 50,000 kg in a year.
1. Essential Requirements
The Essential Requirements are, in summary:
- Packaging volume and weight must be the minimum amount to maintain the necessary levels of safety, hygiene and acceptance for the packaged product, and for the consumer.
- Packaging must be manufactured so as to permit reuse or recovery in accordance with specific requirements.
- Noxious or hazardous substances in packaging must be minimised in emissions, ash or leachate from incineration or landfill.
- In the Netherlands there is an extra requirement: packaging should be designed in a way that prevents litter.
See annex II of the Packaging Waste Directive.
2. Limits on heavy metal concentration levels
The aggregate heavy metal limits apply to lead, cadmium, mercury and hexavalent chromium, or in packaging or packaging components subject to some exemptions (e.g. for glass and plastic crates/pallets). The total by weight of such metals should not exceed 100 ppm. See article 11 of the Packaging Waste Directive.
Per year, producers and importers must account for all the packaging they are responsible for. The responsibility is for
- all the packaging made available to other parties in the Netherlands for the first time; and
- for packaging, which is discarded after importing goods.
For this packaging the following should be recorded and registered:
- the type of packaging material made available or discarded;
- the weight of the packaging per material;
- the country of delivery of the packaged product (both within or outside the Netherlands); and
- the total weight of the packaging.
4. Registration with the Packaging Waste Fund
If you expect to be responsible for more than 50,000 kg in a year, you should register your organisation by sending your contact details to: info @afvalfondsverpakkingen .nl or by calling +31 854 012 660.
You will receive a username and password to log into our website and fill in the kilograms per type of packaging material for which you are responsible in a particular year. After receiving your report, we will send you an invoice every quarter.
If you need help or more information on details, procedures, deadlines etc., please contact our helpdesk: info @afvalfondsverpakkingen .nl or +31 854 012 660.