Registration of “Eenmalige Logistieke Hulpmiddelen”
Certain types of packaging are excluded from the Packaging Waste Management Contribution (PWMC) in the Netherlands. These are called Logistieke Hulpmiddelen. It concerns only the following items:
- Pallets, including pallet collars, pallet boxes and intermediate plates intended to be used in combination with the pallet and of equal surface as the pallet
- Glass trolleys
- Intermediate Bulk Containers
- Roll cage trolleys
- Barrels, jerry cans, and gas cylinders with a volume of at least 20 litres
- Crates with a volume of at least 8 litres
- Boxes with a volume of at least one cubic metre
- Big bags with a volume of at least 250 litres
- Tubes, coils and spools with a length of at least 50 centimetres
Please note that the term Logistieke Hulpmiddelen is not equivalent to tertiary or transport packaging. All packaging is subject to the PWMC unless it is expressly mentioned on the above list.
Starting with the declaration over 2016, producers and importers are required to include in their declaration those Logistieke Hulpmiddelen which are not designed and intended to be used multiple times. This means that unless the producer or importer is able to evidence the existence of a system which ensures the reuse of Logistieke Hulpmiddelen, for example via a deposit system or the exchange of full pallets for empty pallets, these Logistieke Hulpmiddelen should be declared separately to the Packaging Waste Fund. There is no contribution connected to the registration, however failure to comply may result in fines. The declaration concerns the total weight per material over a calendar year.
What should I do?
1. Starting with the abovementioned list, determine which of these items are used at your company.
2. Determine whether they are designed and intended to be used multiple times.
3. If so, you do not need to declare them.
4. If not, you should declare them. This declaration is separate from the regular packaging because there is no contribution involved.
How do I do this?
- If for example your company sells products for the first time in the Netherlands in crates with a volume of at least 8 litres, which are not designed and intended to be used multiple times, this generally means that your company has to regularly buy new crates. This will have been registered in your sales and purchasing administration. This information, combined with data about the weight of the relevant packaging, can be used for the purpose of your declaration.
- Your company is also responsible for the packaging removed from imported products. If for example your company imports products into the Netherlands in boxes with a volume of at least one cubic metre and then disposes of these boxes as waste, such boxes should be declared. Your company’s waste disposal administration will help you with the declaration.
Disclaimer: This is an English summary for informational purposes only. In case of any discrepancy, the ‘Beleid Afvalfonds Verpakkingen’ prevails.